Further Veterinary Problems
I went out this morning to feed and water Lizzie, to find her lurching on three legs, with the originally injured leg (the first turnout injury, prior to getting kicked by Lily, and prior to the concussion-related injuries due to galloping up and down like a mad thing) blown up massively, hot, and running with infection. I called the vet and he came out immediately. I called work and told my boss that I needed some personal time off today. The vet was worried about there possibly being a loose bone fragment from the original injury that has decided to come loose from the cannon bone, thus causing the sudden infection, so he did x-rays.
X-rays for horses are extremely expensive, almost £100 per plate. If they move, the image is blurred. She was under sedation, we were both wearing lead aprons, I was trying to hold her still, and every time he went to take the shot, she would move. Click, move, £100. Click, move, £100. Twice people came to the stall door to see what was happening, and the poor vet was practically snarling at them to go away and let us do this in peace. He finally got several shots, gave her another whopping dose of antibiotic, and left. I washed the blood and other less mentionable substances out of my sleeves, and went on to work.
Well, fortunately, there doesn’t appear to be any broken bones or bone fragments, so we’re not looking at a major surgery to remove them. Hopefully the antibiotic will take the infection down, and then he’ll do a minor surgery to clean the wound again, removing the proud flesh, etc.
Damn horses…I’m on the verge of giving up. I’m out of money, and I’m out of hope. Between Lizzie’s injuries and Kip’s broken shoulder last year, I’ve had enough. But how do I give this up? What would I have in my life if I didn’t have horses, something to dream about and strive for?
I’m so confused. And I feel as though I’ve been kicked in the stomach. And I have two freelance sites coming up that will probably just pay for the vetwork. :(