Please note that my rates have changed: I am charging slightly more now but am including POD templates, etc. Click here for rates.
I am available for book cover design. I work in the following genres (sorry, but I am no longer taking romance clients):
- Science Fiction
- Fantasy (both traditional and urban)
- YA Fantasy/Horror
The work that I do is mainly photomontage, which is then overpainted digitally using a tablet. I don’t do any traditional illustration, nor do I do graphic work (titles, etc.) on completed cover art that you may already have. My leadtime is generally two months in advance.
If you are interested in having a cover design, contact me at email@example.com for more information. Prior to scheduling a new cover project, the initial questions that I ask are:
- What text will go on the cover (title, author name, tagline, etc.)?
- What genre is your book (fantasy, paranormal, suspense/thriller, etc.) and who is your target market (YA, adult)?
- Is this book part of a series? If so, I will work on a concept that can be carried across a series of books to tie them together visually. Let me know if we will need the same character on the covers, and how many titles you anticipate needing.
- Are you planning on a printed version of the book as well?
- Please give me a short synopsis of the book, and any major themes that you feel are important.
- If you are interested in having a main character on the cover, give me a short description of them including age, sex, race, colouring, hairstyle, general style of dress, and personality. I can do two characters, but more than that gets messy – the simpler, the better.
- Do you have any initial ideas for your cover? (I will provide other concepts as well.)
- Are there any covers that your particularly admire, or hate? This isn’t to copy other’s work, but it is easier for most people (even writers!) to convey what they like via images rather than words, which are very subjective. I keep a board of covers that I particularly like, which is located here.
- What “feel” are you going for? Gritty? Fantasy/fairytale? Yearning? Dark, light?
Drop me a line – I’d love to discuss a cover for your book!
- Click here for information about book cover rates and pricing.
- Click here for information about pre-designed ebook covers.
- Click here for a Pinterest board of my book covers – this is usually the most up-to-date.
- Click here for links to my art portfolio.
Book Cover Design Basics:
This was a series that I did on book cover design: what I ask, what to expect during the entire process, and information on formats and sizes if you wish to have a go at your own covers.
- Part One
- Part Two
- Part Three
- Part Four
- Rainbird: Birth of a Book Cover
- From Concept to Creation: How We Designed the Cover for Mortality by Kellie Sheridan